“It’s more than just you burn up your favorite pan and have to throw it in the trash. And it can happen really, really quickly,” said Elaine Towner, Durham Fire Department life safety educator.
That’s why every October, the Durham Fire Department tries educate residents about fire safety before it’s too late.
This year is all about safety in the kitchen. Durham firefighters said they have seen an increase in kitchen fires during the pandemic.
“There are a lot of distractions going on in people’s’ homes because that’s where they are all the time and it’s really easy to lose track of what’s going on in your kitchen,” Towner said.
RELATED: Raleigh family escapes fire tragedy thanks to 4-year-old child’s quick thinking
Towner says the number one way to prevent a kitchen fire-don’t leave your stove unattended if